Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Seeing is Believing!?

A big huggable thanks to my email friend and reader, Marla, for giving me that final kick "in the roost" to blog today.
I'm here!  I'm alive!  :)

I'm working on a new wool project and it's definintely Christmas related but I'm not telling you anymore about it until it's closer to completion ... which will probably be either tomorrow or the next day. 

SO, the other day, late morning, I happened to glance at the thermometer that we have on our kitchen windowsill.
This is what it said the outside temp was ....

Now, I did hear that Los Angeles was hit with a heat wave of temps over 100 degrees yesterday, but I live in Pennsylvania, where we should be having Fall temperatures.
Imagine my shock at seeing that it was 107 degrees!
I must be really slow on thinking/reasoning skills because my first thought was "I better turn the furnace off and the air conditioner back on." 
Then it occurred to me that we never get temps this high, especially not in early fall.  Something must be wrong with the thermometer. (DUH). 
All it took was one step outside to find out that indeed, our indoor/outdoor thermometer had gone berserk.  I was very gullible for about 10 seconds.

This got me to thinking about how gullible I used to be with what would turn out to be internet hoaxes.
We've all experienced those hoaxes in our emails ... you know the ones ... Like the one where your head would explode if you talked on your cellphone while it was being charged.  Or the one where there were hidden needle syringes in movie theater seats and if you happened to sit on one, you would be injected with a deadly virus.

 I could list a dozen of them here, but you all know what I'm talking about.

I still remember the very first hoax that I read that later turned out to be not true.
It was an emailed warning to NEVER EVER flash your headlights at an oncoming car to let them know that they had forgotten to turn their headlights on.  The email told me that it was a gang-related sign and if a gang member saw me doing it, I was giving him permission to turn around and kill every living being in my car, including me.

I realize NOW that is so absurdly ridiculous. but I went for months and months believing it until I happened to read somewhere ... on the internet ... that it wasn't true.
Now, anytime I get something in my email that sounds even the slightest bit suspiciously wrong, I just google it.
Google has saved me from many many unnecessary fears and has taught me to not be so stupidly gullible.


On that note, the grandson and Rachel have discovered a way to fend off the evil witches, like the one in the Wizard of Oz.
Now, everytime he comes over to visit for the day, he wants Rachel to help him make some witch soup. 
He wants to have his witch soup available to throw on any evil witch that happens to come along ... he hasn't thrown it on me yet, so that's a good thing because we all know that any water thrown on a witch will make the witch melt into a little puddle on the ground.
So to make the witch soup ....

They gathered their secret ingredients from outside ... not sure what all is in that bucket, because they refuse to give the recipe.  BUT ....



I caught him putting in one cherry tomato from the garden ....



Of course, water had to be added to the mixture ...




Then it had to be stirred with a special stick.

I was not allowed to see anything more .. because what they did next was a big secret.

But Rachel did tell me that she told him that they needed a toenail to put into the soup.
He immediately said "OK!", sat down on the ground and started pulling off his shoes and socks.
Talk about gullible!
No, she didn't let him pull his toenail off.

Happy day everyone!  

4 comments:

~Laurie~ said...

Aww! My children make "special concoctions" too - great minds think alike :) Speaking of gullible, one April Fool's Day, my husband came home and told me that the local radion station was going to go completely computerized - that all the disc jockeys were being fired at the end of the week and the computers were taking over. He REALLY believed it! Until I reminded him that it was April Fool's Day - yet I think he still waited until the end of the week to see if the DJ's were really still there!! It's funny what our minds will believe :) Thanks for sharing today!

Cat Haven Craft House said...

LOL! Glad you weren't melting out in PA!

Shirley said...

Thank you for my chuckle which I needed after the kind of a day I had. I think we have all had similar things happen at one time or another. I would have done a double take for sure. Have a great day.

Andrea Beckett said...

Hi thanks foor posting this